Maximum Marks: 100
Semester Examination: 70
Internal Assessment: 30
Production and Operations Management- an overview; Nature and scope of Production/ Operations Management; Historical perspective of Operations Management; Operations as a System:- Continuous and Intermittent production system, flow, batch and job type of production; Operations strategy and elements of operations strategy; Facility location: Factors affecting plant location, Brown and Gibson Model of plant location
Manufacturing systems and layouts: Product, Process and cellular layouts, layout planning and Analysis; Production Process Planning and Design: factors affecting process design; Concept of Line Balancing; Production Planning and Control – An overview; types of Production Planning and Control; Aggregate planning:- Concept, strategies and costs
Master Production Scheduling (MPS): objectives and procedure for developing master production schedule; Materials Management: An overview; Basic concepts of Material Handling; Material Planning and Inventory Control; Inventory Control: Costs and objectives; Inventory control techniques ; ABC Analysis: Just in Time(JIT); Materials Requirement Planning (MRP); Economic Order Quantity Model (E.O.Q with deterministic Demand) and practical problems on EOQ.
Quality Management and Quality Assurance: Statistical process control–Control Charts for Attributes and Variables; Acceptance sampling: – Concept and significance; Total Quality Management (TQM) ; ISO-9000- Concept and Significance; Value Engineering:- Basic Concepts; Maintenance Management – Preventive and Breakdown Maintenance; Purchase Management and Purchasing Procedure;
Note:-The list of cases and specific references will be announced by the concerned faculty in the class at the time of launching of the course.
1. Adam,E.E.& Ebert,RJ. Production and Operations Management. 6th ed., New Delhi, Prentice Hall of India,1995
2. Amrine Harold T. etc. Manufacturing Organizations and Management. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice Hall Inc., 1993.
3. Buffa, E.S. Modern Production Management, New York, John Wiley,1987.
4. Chary, S.N. Production and Operations Management, New Delhi, Tata McGraw Hill, 1989.
5. Dobler, Donald W and Lee, Lamar. Purchasing and Materials Management. New York, McGraw Hill, 1984.
6. Dilworth, James B. Operations Management: Design, Planning and Control for Manufacturing & Services. Singapore, McGraw Hill,1992.
7. Moore,FG and Hendrick, T.E. Production /Operations Management. Homewood, Illinois, Richard D. Irwin, 1992.